Click on plaque or picture for a larger one!

TOUR PAGE 3      HOME      ABOUT US      JOIN


CLICK HERE
FOR THE PREVIOUS PAGE

Many homes in the historic district have plaques like the one shown above, stating that they are on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

TAKE OUR DRIVING TOUR


CLICK HERE
FOR THE NEXT PAGE

Click for larger picture
2126 Reid Avenue
The grand D.E. French house was built in 1919 for West Virginia State Senator D.E. French.  Senator French was an attorney and president of First National Bank of Keystone.
Click for larger picture
1339 Liberty Street
Designed and built by local
architect Robert Sheffey in 1920, this Federal Style house is associated with long-time owner R.H. Moore.  The Moore family occupied the house from 1926 to 1981.  Mr. Moore was an officer of the Jewel Ridge Coal Company.
Click for larger picture
409 Albemarle Street
The stately Mitchell house has graced Albemarle Street since its construction in 1915.  Designed by architect John Kingsbury, the house was originally owned by Michael S. Stupalsky, businessman and Bluefield city treasurer.  H. Milnor Mitchell, president of Bluefield Bottling Company later purchased the property.
     
Click for larger picture
109 Spring Grove Avenue
Known as Alex Mahood's Bluefield masterpiece, the Garrett house was constructed in 1915.  Set atop a hillside, the Georgian Revival mansion with its ornate oversized portico was the perfect place to view the budding South Bluefield neighborhood.
Click for larger picture
2009 Bland Road
This Alex Mahood gem was built in 1916 for Captain D.H. Barger.  A three-story open staircase graces the center hall of the Colonial Revival house.  Dr. Wade H. St. Clair later purchased the home.  Dr. St. Clair was one of three local physicians who began the Bluefield Sanitarium.  The Sanitarium has evolved into the Bluefield Regional Medical Center.
Click for larger picture
105 Oakhurst Avenue
Built in 1926, Alex Mahood designed this Mediterranean Revival house for Edgar S. Pedigo.  The house enjoys the distinction of being the home of a West Virginia political dynasty.  John and Elizabeth Kee, long-time owners of the house, both served in the US Congress.  Their son Jim, succeeded his mother.  Between the three, the Kee family controlled West Virginia's Fifth Congressional seat for forty years.
   
PREVIOUS PAGE   NEXT PAGE

 

Site maintained by
 
Copyright 2006.   [All rights reserved]
Last update October 15, 2006 04:33 PM